Ford C-4 29-219
This big Ford C-4 transport, 29-219, left, landed at Tucson
three times between 1929 and 1934. For its first visit on
August 12, 1929, it was flown by Capt. H.N Dwyer. Dwyer carried
two mecanics and the Hon. W. Frank James (R-MI).
Representative James was Chairman of the Military Affairs
Committee, which recommended in July 1929 that a "huge
expansion" commence at Maxwell Field, Riverside, CA. James
is sometimes called the "godfather of Maxwell Field".
Perhaps this trip, which arrived from Ft. Huachuca and was
northbound to the Grand Canyon, was to promote or help roll
out Representative James' legislation.
The other military pilots who flew this airplane to Tucson
were R.K. Giannoli (July 2, 1931) and Lloyd L. Sailor (August 27, 1934).
Both were westbound to March Field, Riverside, CA, and both
flew with many fewer passengers than their airplane was designed
to carry. Sailor wrote in the Remarks column of the register, "Won't
be long now", perhaps referring to his expected arrival
on the west coast later in the day.
UPLOADED: 09/30/07 REVISED: 07/23/11