Registration Number NC9174
Oil, Mapping And Teaching
This aircraft is a Fairchild 71, S/N 646 (ATC #89), manufactured
in May, 1929 by Fairchild Airplane Manufacturing Corp., Farmingdale,
NY. It left the factory with a 410 HP Pratt & Whitney
Wasp engine, S/N 1527 as a seven-place airplane. It weighed
5,500 pounds. The airplane came equipped with flares, electric
starter, battery, generator and landing lights.
It sold on May 31, 1929 to Lionel T. Barneson of Los Angeles,
CA for $19,996. Barneson was President of General Petroleum
Corp.). In a corporate exchange, the airplane transferred
to Bankline Oil Company of Los Angeles (John Barneson, President)
on February 1, 1931.
We find NC9174 at Tucson on January 30, 1932 piloted by Pat Farris
carrying L.T. Barneson and other unidentified passengers.
They were eastbound from Santa Monica Clover Field on their
way to “Florida”. Undoubtedly a vacation flight.
Bankline owned the airplane until 1935. They flew it for
1930 hours, re-covered it, and cut a camera hole in the floor
as of April 9, 1932. It suffered an accident on September 25, 1934 requiring
repairs to the left wing and landing gear.
Bankline sold it to Fairchild Aerial Surveys of Woodside,
NY on May 22, 1935. The same month, the fuselage was adapted for
two cameras, three chairs were removed and a seatbelt installed
for the cameraman. During 1937-38 it received authority to
perform mapping flights over Mexico and Guatemala. On 3/22/38
it was recalled to the U.S. and Fairchild NR8016
was substituted for mapping in Guatemala.
It performed aerial survey duties until 1940, accumulating
3,184 flight hours. On March 1, 1940 it sold to a broker at Metropolitan
Airport in Van Nuys, CA. On September 3, 1942 it transferred to the California
State Board of Education at Sacramento, CA, “to be used
by Glandale Unified School District for ground school instructional
purposes.” And so it was used for that purpose until
1949. Its registration was cancelled September 27, 1949.
UPLOADED: 08/16/05 REVISED: