FORD 5-AT-B NC9668
This airplane is a Ford 5-AT-B tri-motor (S/N 5-AT-15; ATC
# 156) manufactured on January 13, 1929 by the Stout Metal
Airplane Company (Division of Ford Motor Company), Dearborn,
MI. It came from the factory with three Pratt & Whitney
Wasp engines (S/Ns L 1017, R 1015, C 1016) of 400 HP each. It
weighed 13,250 pounds. It sold for $65,475 on February
13, 1929 to Stout Air Services, Inc., Dearborn, MI, probably
to fly the Ford air routes. You may see an image of this
airplane near the bottom of this page.
NC9668 landed at Tucson once, on May 8, 1929 flown by George
Allen. He carried six unidentified passengers. They
were westbound from El Paso, TX to Los
It sold on October 1, 1930 to National Air Transport, Inc.,
Chicago, IL as a thirteen-place airplane with pilot and copilot. It
was remodeled as of January 2, 1931 with “Hi-speed” equipment
(ring cowls and wheel pants). The outboard engines
were lowered six inches, and mail compartments were installed
an the center section and the wings were reinforced.
NC9668 flew in that configuration for three years, and then
was sold to Pennsylvania Airlines, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA. On
June 21, 1935 it was again sold to Pennsylvania Airlines
and Transport Co., Pittsburgh It suffered an accident
on March 9, 1936 (no details in the record).
On January 21, 1936 it was sold to Transportes Aereos Centro-Americanas,
Ltda., Tegucigalpa, Honduras. It was ferried from Cleveland,
OH to Brownsville, TX about July 23, 1936 with Honduran registration
XH-TAW. Final disposition lists the airplane as sold
into Honduras, 1936. No further information.
UPLOADED: 04/01/06 REVISED: 09/30/07, 11/13/12