Located on Ocean park Boulevard in Santa Monica, Clover Field
was perched in the southeast corner of the city limits, 2.5
miles from the ocean. Clover Field has its own Web site at the link.
Clover Field was established in 1922, named for
World War I pilot Lt. Greayer "Grubby" Clover. In1933,
it was 63 acres in area, rectangular in shape, with a 2,800
foot asphalt runway.
At left is a 1933 aerial photograph of Clover Field from the reference in the left sidebar. Another view of Clover Field is at pilot Al Wilson's page.
Day markings at Clover Field consisted of the standard circle
at the center of the field, and "CLOVER FIELD" painted
on a hangar. At night, it had a green, 24" rotating beacon,
with boundary and flood lights. There were no landing fees,
and no flood lighting fees for night activities.
Communications facilities at the field consisted of a telephone
(number was 83966), and weather reports.
Local accomodations were first rate, with modern hotels in
the city, and a restaurant on the field. Buses ran every 20
minutes, and taxi fare to town was 50 cents.
Service facilities were also first rate. Gas, oil and hangars
were available, as were complete repair facilities, with licensed
mechanics on call day or night. Daily storage fees ranged
from $1 to $2.50, depending upon aircraft size. Monthly storage
fees were $20 and up. Below, data from the 1937 reference cited in the left sidebar.
Airport Data, 1937 (Source: Kalina)
Interestingly, the primary operator at the field was James
E. Granger, who provided aircraft sales, training, passenger
and charter trips, motion picture work, repairs, aircraft
servicing and hangars. Mr. Granger, and his wife, Clema, also
a pilot, landed at the Davis-Monthan Airfield a total of six
times between 1930 and 1932. Their business hangar is the right nearest one. Two additional photos of Clover Field, with closer details of the hangars, are at James Granger's page. Another aerial image is at Dick Ranaldi's page.
Other operators were Mutual Aircraft Corp., which provided
repair, servicing and storage. Its hangar is the one next left from Granger's. Douglas Aircraft Corp.,
which manufactured aircraft under contract to the Army, Navy,
Coast Guard and foreign governments, was also at Santa Monica. Its facility is the large, flat-roofed structure at top.
Today the site of Clover Field is still an active aviation area, occupied by the Santa Monica Municipal Airport.
THIS PAGE UPLOADED: May 2005 REVISED: 01/07/09, 01/11/10, 04/15/11, 07/26/12