STINSON SM-6000-B NC10893
SOLD FOR PARTS
This airplane is a Stinson SM-6000-B (S/N 5053; ATC #420)
manufactured in August 1931 by Stinson Aircraft Corporation,
Wayne, MI. It came from the factory with three Lycoming
R-680 engines (S/N L 543, R 544, C 595) of 215 HP each. It
was an eleven-place airplane weighing 8,600 pounds gross.
It was purchased on September 3, 1931 by Century Pacific
Lines, Ltd., Grand Central Air Terminal, Glendale,
find NC10893 at Tucson between September 4 and 9, 1931. It
was flown solo by Frank Glennan from Detroit, MI. This
is probably the ferry flight from the factory to its new
transport duties for this brand new airplane.
On March 31, 1932 Century sold it to American Airways, Inc.,
New York, NY. It was converted to an eight-passenger/mail
transport as of September 1, 1932. Two years later,
on June 13, 1934, American sold the airplane to John T. Corrodi,
Inc., Port Columbus, OH. Corrodi, Inc., was a repair
station and mid-west distributor for Waco, Stinson, Bellanca,
Curtiss-Wright and Monocoupe aircraft and products. At
the time Corrodi acquired it, NC10893 had accumulated 2,590:05
flight hours in a little less than three years of service. This
was a relatively aggressive operations schedule for the time.
Through the remainder of the 1930s, the airplane sold an
additional six times. It was repossessed at least once
by the Charles
H. Babb Company due to default. It moved
from OH, to VA, Brooklyn, NY, DE and finally back to New
Its owner in NJ, J.C. Blodgett, stated in a letter of October
16, 1939, “airplane was complete dismantled and sold
for parts.” No further information.
UPLOADED: 04/02/06 REVISED: